Prisoners are persons whom most of us would rather not think about. Banished from everyday sight, they exist in a shadow world that only dimly enters our awareness. They are members of a "total institution" that controls their daily existence in a way that few of us can imagine. "[P]rison is a complex of physical arrangements and of measures, all wholly governmental, all wholly performed by agents of government, which determine the total existence of certain human beings (except perhaps in the realm of the spirit, and inevitably there as well) from sundown to sundown, sleeping, walking, speaking, silent, working, playing, viewing, eating, voiding, reading, alone, with others. . . ." It is thus easy to think of prisoners as members of a separate netherworld, driven by its own demands, ordered by its own customs, ruled by those whose claim to power rests on raw necessity. -- Justice William Brennan, dissenting in O’Lone v. Estate of Shabazz, 482 U.S. 342, 354-55 (1987).

Saturday, July 14, 2007

Updates

I have started to look through the articles my wife has posted and noticed that some of them were significantly abridged. In addition, there are probably 25 articles, including what I thought were some of my better ones, that were never published. I am starting the update process now.

First, I updated the Dormitories and Commissary articles. The Dormitories articles is now unabridged and almost 3 times as long, including drawings of the floorplans. The Commissary article now includes copies of the actual commissary order sheets.

I have floorplans for other buildings (the visitation room and libraries) that I hope to append to the appropriate articles soon.

Second, I added the Admission and Orientation Manual (14MB) and Education Services Document (7MB) to the Orientation post.

At some point, I need to get a life :)

No comments: