Prisoners are persons whom most of us would rather not think about. Banished from everyday sight, they exist in a shadow world that only dimly enters our awareness. They are members of a "total institution" that controls their daily existence in a way that few of us can imagine. "[P]rison is a complex of physical arrangements and of measures, all wholly governmental, all wholly performed by agents of government, which determine the total existence of certain human beings (except perhaps in the realm of the spirit, and inevitably there as well) from sundown to sundown, sleeping, walking, speaking, silent, working, playing, viewing, eating, voiding, reading, alone, with others. . . ." It is thus easy to think of prisoners as members of a separate netherworld, driven by its own demands, ordered by its own customs, ruled by those whose claim to power rests on raw necessity. -- Justice William Brennan, dissenting in O’Lone v. Estate of Shabazz, 482 U.S. 342, 354-55 (1987).

Friday, June 1, 2007

Wachovia Championship

For the uninitiated, the Wachovia Championship is the PGA golf tournament in Charlotte this week. This is the 5th year and I always get 2 tickets for the whole week. Of course when I purchased mine last fall I didn't know I was going to prison this year.

My favorite day is the Wednesday Pro-Am because I can bring my camera and I like to follow Tiger the entire round (he always seems to get the 7:30a tee time) and then send the pics to the 2 amateur partners.

This year, they paired Tiger with Michael Jordan and Skipper Beck (who owns the Mercedes dealership that gives each player a car to drive for the week). I spent my day weedeating the stormwater drains of an old Navy airfield when I could have been following Tiger and MJ around!

No comments: